Thursday, April 9, 2009

THE VERDICT

So yesterday I went to the dentist, I am so not a fan! I do have to say this new dentist I went to was awesome. He is an older man, probably a little older than my dad. I am not sure about you but I have this thing when I am sick all I want is my dad. Yes even at 29 he is the first person I think of! Is that strange? Anyway this dentist gave off the dad vibe, LOVED IT! He was very kind, he made me feel comfortable, and made sure I understood what was going on and if I was in any pain he stopped to give me more drugs! So here is how it went down.....I got to their office at 3:50 filled out the paper work and waited about 5 minutes is all. Good sign! The hygienist came and got me, she was asking questions about what brought me in and all that. She took x-rays of the side that was hurting. Dr. Larsen (first off if I had known his name was Dr Larsen I NEVER would have stepped foot in his office, if you come across a Dr. Larsen in Blackfoot RUN like your life depends on it, because it is possible that it does!) came in, introduced himself and looked at the x-ray. He saw two little cavities. He wasn't sure why they would be causing so much pain but thought it was best to fill them and see if that fixed the problems. So we get started with the process, he looks at the tooth next to the one with the cavity and I hear him say OHHHHHH here's the problem. I start FREAKING out! WHAT DID HE FIND! He says he found a bigger cavity on the tooth behind the other teeth that they did the xray on. So the course changes and he starts with that tooth. He digs a bit then I hear another OOHHHH! Me freaking again!!! This is a very sick tooth he says, it's going to need a root canal! My ears start to ring, I start seeing blurry spots as the memories of the last root canal flood my brain, I start to cry! Yes in front of a man I don't know! Me crying, him saying what's wrong, are you in pain? Thinking to myself I say NO but my check book is going to be! I know this root canal is going to come with a price tag of around $1,500! I soooooo don't have that kind of money right now! Dr Larsen was very kind and concerned for me, I didn't have the heart to tell him why I was crying, so I just said I was nervous! So I now start to prep myself for the pain and the sound of the tools! I HATE HATE HATE the sound of dentist tools! He gives me some local pain meds to numb the area before the shot(s). I am numb and it is time to get started, 3 shots later he starts the drill, UGH again the sound! So I start to sing to myself as loud as I can sing inside my head JESUS WANTS ME FOR A SUNBEAM, A SUNBEAM TO SHINE FOR HIM EACH DAY! Then he hits a spot on my tooth that isn't numb OOOUUUUCCHH! Dr Larsen stops immediately! I get another shot! He waits a while then the drilling continues, as does the singing in my head, GIVE SAID THE LITTLE STREAM, GIVE O GIVE, GIVE O GIVE, oh wait one more spot that isn't numb! OOOOOOUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH! One more shot for me! After he waits a minute he says ok I have given you as much as I would give a Clydesdale. We laugh and continue, it was smooth sailing after that. I must say my face was numb until 9:30 last night! I was in the chair for a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes, and I still have two more visits before this ONE tooth is done, then we will move on to the others! UGH! So today I am sore my mouth won't open, I am starving, I can't take the pain medication with out eating first, I was very light headed this morning almost fainted twice all because I couldn't eat, it's raining, I didn't sleep well, (neither did Cylie I think she is going to end up in the Dr office again, I really should have been a Dr it would have saved us so much money! LOL!) my boss is in meetings in Boise so I couldn't call in sick! I know it sounds like I am whining,and darn it that is because I am! I am going to allow myself to feel like crud today, maybe it will be better tomorrow!


So dear reader I must ask, is it just me that HATES the dentist so much? If you do how do you pump yourself up enough to go?? Do you sing primary songs like me??? I would like to hear your secrets for my next appointments!

7 comments:

  1. I'm weird because I love the dentist -- I always have! I know....it's really odd, but true.

    You know, your dentist can prescribe a sedative to help you be more calm -- you might want to look into that.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. childhood trauma has led me to HATTTTE the dentist. My palms start sweating even before I get there - and when I pull in, I am so nervous...i usually have sweat rings :) Gross, but true. I have had basically EVERY procedure done that a dentist can do - so, i usually know what is coming...but that doesn't help me to prep AT all! I even hate getting my teeth cleaned. Don't get me wrong, i love the clean feeling - but I am always afraid they are going to tell me something is wrong - because 95% of my life...there has been something wrong. It has only been within the past 2 years that I have made 3 clean visits to the dentist with no cavity...I blame that on bad genes from my grandma and mom (our teeth SUCK!)

    So, now I have 10 of my top teeth in veniers and I can't wait to get the bottom ones done. But, that won't happen until I win the Publishers Clearing House or something! ha ha!

    Anyway, I share your total fear of the dentist - and I am sorry that it was so traumatic. I can't do the gas...again, childhood trauma. I always have to do shots and I think it is SO much better!

    Good luck with the follow-up visits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you couple in some traumatic childhood dentist visits, plus needing lots of shots to numb it in the first place --that definitely equals not liking the dentist?

    I'm totally different, I guess. I've never minded the dentist and I've been in for almost everything --plus I did work at Simpson Dental for 2 years, so I'm biased?

    I'm sorry it was so awful! Even more sorry for your checkbook, though. That's so frustrating!! But better that than losing your teeth, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry -the first sentence should have had an ! an not a ? at then end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a hard time going numb... which always equals TONS of shots, and those puppies really hurt afterward! (so I DO feel sorry for your poor mouth today!)... But one thing I heard that might help is that sometimes vitamin C counteracts the numbing meds... so before you go don't drink any OJ for a day or so... See if it works for you... I haven't tried it out myself!! Good Luck and I hope you feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sister. I am so sorry. That is the worst day this week for sure. I am just sorry. I can't even relate. I got Dad's teeth. Sorry. gah...I keep saying sorry. But it's true. I am. If I could trade places with you I would. I would take this gladly if it meant you didn't have to. I think you should have married a doctor. Then we could all reap that benefit. Hang in there. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well my dear, you are braver than me!! when mine was hurting that bad, they said i needed the root canal too and they told me of all the appointments that follow--and that freaked me out--so i had them pull the son of a bit**!!! lol it was in the back so i guess i didnt really want it that bad. perhaps if it was up front more i would done the icky root canal thing. so no i have no secrets. too bad ear plugs wouldnt help drown out the sound huh!?!? i think thats the worst part!! did you find something to eat yet today!?!?!

    ReplyDelete