I'm kinda having a down in the dumps kind of day so I thought I would post about a great memory that will make me cry happy tears, not the kind that has been gracing my cheeks thus far today. So to explain the gift I must first give you history of a very special gift my Mother gave me when I was around 7. It was a Christmas gift that she had saved to give me at my Grandma's house. As I remember, Mom thought all the Aunts and Uncles were going to give their kids a gift at the Goodwin Christmas gathering, but when we got there only Mom had gifts for her kids. She pulled Michelle and I into Grandma's sewing room, which I loved that blue room just so you know, and gave us our gifts. Mine was a beautiful music box girl thing. I loved her. Michelle and I would whined her up every night and fall asleep listening to her play. I remember Michelle once told me if I told anyone she listened to a music box to fall asleep she would beat me up! HAHA! I better watch my back! When Michelle and I moved our room back upstairs she somehow got left downstairs for awhile. One day while in the basement back room I found her...in pieces. Travis had knocked her down on the cement floor by accident. I was so sad. Dad got out the trusty glue and put her back together. I now loved her even more because my Dad had taken the time to mend her and my broken heart! As I grew I still kept her safely in my room. When I became a mom myself I started playing her sweet music for my kids. Well they of course loved her two and wanted to play with her. She held up really well until Cylie was born. I tried to play it for her put my sweet doll had finally had enough. I was so heart broken, it was a sweet gift my mother had given me. Since Mom passed all of the things she had given or were hers have become so cherished. I put my sweet music doll away. I couldn't bear to throw her away. Now lets move on to my dear husband he really falls short in the gift giving department. He always has, I don't fault him for it.(anymore!HEHE!) It was a few days before Christmas and he sent me a text that said I must pay it forward. I was so confused as to what he meant. He said he had just been shown the true meaning of Christmas and needed to pay it forward so if I new of anything please let him know. He wouldn't tell me what had been done for him because it involved my present. I was so dang confused, and a little mad! I don't like being teased like that! I had to let it go so it didn't consume me with what he was talking about! On Christmas morning this is the gift I opened.....


I was confused at first! I said you found a new one? He said no I found a lady in Idaho Falls to fix it for you. It was a little different because they didn't know what the brown part was, it was a tree limb that held little birds. The tears began to fall. He had taken the time to find it, hide it and get it fixed. Then he told me the story of the Lady in Idaho Falls that fixed it for me. He knew I always wanted to know what the song was that played on the box. Well most boxes are stamped with the music, well she wasn't. Knowing how important it was this sweet lady listened to the song over and over. She even enlisted help. They figured out what it was and he even bought me sheet music for it. The song is called "You light up my life" How appropriate don't you think. He then told me he had told the lady how important the music box was to me and why. He told me she had also lost her mother way to early in life and knew the pain I was feeling. She wouldn't let him pay her for fixing the music box. I again began to cry! She said it was her pleasure to return such a special gift to my life. What an amazing women. What an amazing Husband. What an amazing Mother. What an amazing gift. This music box is one of my prized possessions. My Mother gave it to me, my Father fixed it, and my Husband recreated it and gave a piece of my mother back to me!
Kim, that is a truly heartwarming story. Thank you so much for sharing it! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story! I love it!
ReplyDeleteThat is funny that you should say what the song was...that was my Grandma and Grandpa Sweetens song. He made her a music box and put that song in it for her. I go to the grocery store every Monday at almost the same time and for a few months every time I would get down the soup aisle that song would play! Someone has remade it (I think it is a country singer??). And, it was all I could do to not cry right there in the soup aisle!
AH!! You made me cry. I love that you still have your music box (now more than ever). I will be forever grateful to Matt for coming through with such a great gift. It is even more awesome to think that the lady who fixed it has a heart of gold. She has some good Karma!!
ReplyDeleteseriously so sweet! i have a little tea cup from my grandma {who passed away from cancer my senior yr} she gave it to me for my birthday, and it plays my favorite song, well it did...until the little music recorder fell off...it got lost on one of our moves. but i love it!
ReplyDeletehang in there girlie!
I even knew the story before I read it and I still cried!!!!!! I am such a bawl baby!! hahahaha!! Love you, and I so don't care that people know that I listened to your special music box to fall asleep too!! I am so glad that I was able to share a room with you for as long as we did!! I just wish I appreciated it more at the time it was happening!! I love you!!!
ReplyDelete