Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Heavy heart...

Today as I drove to work I promised myself I would take a minute and do a post about our Mt Rushmore trip and the day we spent at Ross Park...but alas my heart is so heavy today I feel like my time would be better spent trying to write some of this down so maybe I won't feel so...sad, I guess that is the best word I can use. It all started last night while I was downstairs playing with Cy when my dad came down, I thought to myself how strange Dad hardly comes down here. Little did I know the words he would say would open my memory box. (yes the ones I like to stay closed, unless I want to remember them.) He told me my Uncle Ralph passed away after his back surgery. My Uncle Ralph and I were not close, in fact I sadly can't remember the last time I saw him. He is married to my dad's sister Diane. We weren't as close growing up with my dad's family as we were my mom's side. So sadly I don't know my cousins on that side very well either. As adults though I have started to reconnect with Kristi through facebook, see there is a good side to that evil demon! Kristi is always the first to comment if I say something is wrong with my family. She is always very kind and caring and checks in to make sure we are all well! I knew my Uncle Ralph was having surgery yesterday, she posted about how worried she was and she hates waiting for news. Now I read this but did I take the time to respond to her and tell her I was thinking of her and hoped all went well? I thought about it but I didn't do it! Why? Why didn't I do it? I am now in a world of guilt! I know my words would not have changed the out come but still why was I not there for her? So now I sit and think of her and her family and all the kind things they did and said to us after mom died! How April came and sat with my Dad at the house to check on him, how April brought my mom and dad Christmas gifts the last Christmas my mom was here, when I am sure they didn't have much money to spend on my parents, but alas she did! April's kind acts and Kristi's kind words mean so much to me and yet I don't give back? I know my mom taught me better then that! So now all the memories of the days following my mom's passing are flooding my brain today, and I can't seem to get the tears to stop! I know first hand the pain and sorrow there hearts are feeling right now, and yet I am unable to help them. So here I sit in a world of sadness for their loss, for my loss, for the loss of my friend Kay's son Shawn, so much loss right now it seems. How can I turn this into something positive? As I ask myself that question I think of my friend Christy and how she is always so kind and caring and giving. She serves others so well, and I look out for number one, me! I am going to try my very best to step out side my own little bubble and see what others need and how I can better serve people. I will need some help with this, as I don't know where to start! I have always thought about spending time at a nursing home playing games with the elderly, but do they allow that? I need some ideas of what you all have done to serve your fellow man! Today I am going to start with serving my own kids. I will be that kind mom that doesn't yell and get angry I will play a game with them and laugh and enjoy them and make sure they know I love them, also I am going to try and reconnect with my family that I may not be as close too. I am sad I had to remember these things only after the loss of a loved one, but maybe his loss will bring us all closer! So today the theme is love, love your neighbor, love your friends, love the stranger that passes you on the street, love your family, those far and near.

7 comments:

  1. Kim, you are a very lovely person. The fact that you are feeling these feelings and making these goals is proof positive of that.
    I hope your family endures this well.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE this post! I have been feeling these exact same feelings lately...and it all started with being at Shawn's funeral (sorry i didn't stop in at the nursery...i had to rush off to clean my grandpas before hurrying back to Logan...but i was there in spirit :) ha ha!)

    Anyway, as i sat and listed to all the amazing things said about Shawn and how much he cared for people...and how he put people above everything else in his life - i thought "Wow - i want to be that!" I want to be the person that loves people more than anything else...why can't i be that?? So, i made the same resolve - which was to love more, live better, serve more, and just be better all the way around. How long this will last - i hope forever...but i know myself :) I will have to make this resolve EVERY day!!

    It was SOOO good to see you and Michelle. You look amazing! I am continuously reminded of the love that Heavenly Father has for me because he has surrounded me with some of the most amazing people...you are one of them :)

    If you need anything, let me know!!!

    Oh ya - and about service...you can TOTALLY go to an old folks home - they love it when you come. Me and an old roomie used to go and sing to them...i always felt like a rock star because they don't hear so well and they think you are awesome :) ha ha!! You can also call them and find out when their game nights are and take your kids to go and play with them - they LOVE it!

    ps - i am going to send you an email...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...my sister...my heart. I wish I was there today to help you get through this yucky day. At least we can say we have had some contact with Kristy and April over the last couple of months. Before Facebook...we probably could have said that. I do admire your resolve to do better in life. Starting with your kids is a great place to start. They will always treasure the memories you make with them. And...cheer up, Charlie. Grandpa Joe (or Jimi Jo as I changed the lyrics to)and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I am really sorry to hear about the loss for your family. But, I am glad that you are turning this negative into a positive. Your right, most of the time it takes a tragedy to get us to put things into perspective! And while we are on the subject of sad thing (okay, so this is no where near the level of sadness of death...) I wont be there for the Goodwin Thanksgiving :c( It is too far from Thanksgiving to come and stay the whole time, and too close the Thanksgiving to come once and then come again. Lori and I already have it planned out to Skype with each other that day since we will be missing it! Hugs! Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read blogs anymore, but for some reason I clicked on yours today to read this. Kim, I am sorry that your uncle passed away, and I think you are incredible to even be thinking things like you are, but I need to remind you of something . . .

    There once was a girl who was heavy in heart and worried about things that might come to pass. She had said there were words that helped her with her fears, and two days later a gift arrived for that girl that had the words on framed glass so she could hang them up in her house and see them every day. Such a remarkable act, so thoughtful and sincere. And that act came from YOU.

    I'm so glad, too, that you have found a way to turn this into a positive, but you might be a little hard on yourself, too. Because you certainly served me in my time of need and you were there checking in to see how things were. You're a great person, Kim. Don't be too hard on yourself.

    I've had the exact same feelings myself the past several months, and have no excuse for not doing them. This was inspiring to read. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh sweetie, I love you, your awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay well you serve me everyday so don't think that you are a loser you are a great servant!! hahahahahahahahahaha!! Just kidding, you have such a big heart and you are one of the kindest most thoughtful people I know!! Keep it up, or don't because like we have said, only the good die young and I would like to keep you around!!! Love yoU!!!!

    ReplyDelete