Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Friends are back!!!

My cousin wrote on her blog about the signs of Spring where she lives in NM, the beautiful flowers are peaking out and everything is turning green. Well I have a different sign of Spring. Last year when I moved into Mom and Dad's in early February it was still dark out when I would leave the house for work. As spring SLOWLY made it's way to Idaho it was getting lighter in the mornings so it wasn't dark when I left the house, which I must say is a blessing! Bridger used to say "But why are we leaving in the middle of the night, daycare isn't open yet!" Too funny! Anyway as I would drive down Groveland Road I noticed this cute little old couple every morning walking across the road to get their newspaper out of the box. This couple seem pretty old. They walk hunched over just a bit, the grandpa uses a cane the blind use, which leads me to believe he can't see. I am a smarty I know! The grandma ever so lovingly holds his arm and they walk across the busy road, very briskly I might add! They fetch their paper and either wait for the cars that are coming or scurry back to their warm house. Some days the grandma has those fabulous scarfs on her hair like my grandma used to wear, and maybe she still does I don't know. If I am the only car coming and they are waiting on the side of the road I always slow down and wait for them so they can get back to their warm house and pull out the magnifying glass so the grandma can read the paper to the grandpa. The grandpa would wave every morning as if to say "Have a great day!" The spring came and went and the little old couple got their paper everyday, summer came and went then fall came. They were still there most mornings but as it started to get dark again I saw them less and less. I found myself saddened by the fact I didn't get to see them anymore. I know this sounds very strange, I am not sure why I am so intrigued by this couple. Maybe it is because I started noticing them shortly after mom passed and how I wished that could have been my mom and dad in another 20 years. Who knows why they tug on my heart strings. I have NO idea who this couple is or what their names are or their life story. I do know how they make me feel hopeful in the fact that they are still together and healthy enough to get the mail each morning. Well guess what? This morning my cute little couple were waiting by their mail box this morning after I dropped Lacey off at dad's to wait for the bus. They looked good, the grandpa smiled and waved and I caught myself tearing up. YEAH it's spring and my friends are back to send me on my way in the morning! Happy Spring!

4 comments:

  1. i heart this post! I absolutely LOVE old people...they always make me happy :) I think one day you should drop in and introduce yourself - take them some cookies from the kids or something - i can't wait to be old.

    I think my favorite thing is that they get their mail together - what a great lesson - because really, that grandma could probably do it so much faster alone...but she doesn't. She takes the time to lead her husband across the street - because that is what you do in a marriage :)

    Great, GREAT post!! And thanks for the reminder that SPRING IS ON ITS WAY!!! YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! Isn't it funny the things our hearts hang on to that make us so happy at the end of a long winter! And then we cry but we don't know why except that our hearts are happy! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fun that they are always out at the same time in the mornings! Yeah cute old couple! Yeah Spring! Yeah day light savings is coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it the Johnsons that live across from Jane's old house?? Sounds like them either way. I love ((most)) old people. I hope spring comes soon!!

    ReplyDelete